Chris Lau, Kapitall: Could a new mobile processor be a saving grace for Intel stock?
After struggling for a long while to produce a good mobile processor, Intel (INTC) seems to have finally found success with the Atom, part of the Bay Trail family.
[Read more on Tech from Kapitall: Carl Icahn Boosts Nuance Holdings, Should You Follow this Famous Investor?]
The mobile processor was selected for Dell’s Venue 8 Pro tablet. Even more impressive is that this processor is powerful enough to run Microsoft’s (MSFT) Windows 8.1. With assertions from IDC (as recently as December 2) that PC sales will decline 10.1% in 2013, will Intel and Microsoft sell enough tablets to make up the gap?Dell Venu tablet gets rave reviews On Amazon (AMZN), the Venue 8 pro already has 242 reviews with an average score of four out of five stars. It is powered by Intel’s Atom Z3740D, which has Intel HD graphics and runs at 1.33GHz. The Venue 8 tablet reportedly has no lag, many apps in the Microsoft store, and quality display. Users who have abandoned their PC may now run most apps on this tablet. What’s also impressive is that the tablet weighs just 0.87 pounds. That's almost as light as Apple’s (AAPL) iPad mini, which weighs at least 0.69 pounds. Apple still has an edge with battery life: the latest mini lasts 12:43, compared to 7:19 for the Venue 8 Pro. Microsoft benefits In addition to growing its user base for Windows 8.1, Microsoft could benefit from distributing its Office software on the tablet. Users could also start using SkyDrive to sync files across devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV