Tech stocks have a reputation for being overly prone to hype, and a business model with a heavy focus on market share over profits makes value investors wary. But that reputation is largely undeserved, and can be attributed to memories of the 1990s tech bubble and companies such as Twitter Inc (TWTR) whose valuation is based on speculation of future profits. Artisan Partners Asset Management Inc (APAM), a bottom up value investment fund that makes no effort to allocate funds to any particular sector, currently has about a third of its assets investments in the tech sector.
"Many of the start-up technology companies in the 1990s were primarily focused on rapidly building market share around new and largely unfamiliar concepts and/or technologies, which typically required large amounts of capital expenditures," according to a recent Artisan Partners Asset Management Inc (APAM) report. "Unproven business models were the norm of the 'growth over profits' mentality as companies tried to expand their customer bases as quickly as possible at the expense of revenues, profits and earnings."
Tech companies now boasting strong balance sheets and low leverage
Artisan’s analysts note that much has changed since the 1990s, and the tech sector is full of companies with strong balance sheets, low leverage, and “undemanding” valuations that simply haven't generated as much investor enthusiasm as their competitors.
Tech sector’s historic premiumEven better, the tech sector's historic premium has fallen over the last few quarters to bring it more in line with the rest of the market, even though the potential for strong innovation-driven growth still exists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV
- The 8 States Most Likely to Legalize Marijuana Next
- BlackBerry Is Finally Realizing Smartphones Aren't the Answer
- Express Scripts and AbbVie Drug-Pricing Deal Might Devastate Biotech Bull Market
- Dow 18,000: Why This Market Rally May Never Happen Again
- Gilead Sciences Is Not a Buy; It's Heading Lower on Price War: Jim Cramer
Rates from Bankrate.com
- Credit Cards