WASHINGTON, Dec. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Everyone has a story to tell, and what better group to share their life experiences with the world than the 50+ audience! 2014 marks the turning of yet another page in history, with the youngest members of the Boomer generation turning 50. To celebrate, AARP is throwing a year-long bash in their honor, declaring 2014 the "Year of the Boomers." As part of this celebration, AARP and The Huffington Post are teaming up to invite this inspiring generation and anyone age 50+ to tell their stories with a national memoir contest.
"We're searching for the next great memoir," said Myrna Blyth, Editorial Director for AARP Media. "We want to find a gifted writer who can tell a remarkable story of his or her life. We believe this memoir contest could really be the chance of a lifetime."
Open to anyone born before December 31, 1964, initial submissions (a synopsis and 5,000 words) for the contest are due by February 15, 2014. Finalists will be asked to submit completed memoirs—20,000 to 50,000 words—by June 15. The winner will receive a $5,000 cash prize and have the work published by Simon & Schuster, excerpted in AARP The Magazine, and featured on The Huffington Post."We believe storytelling is a powerful art form and tool for self-expression," said actress, singer, writer and Huff/Post 50 editor-at-large Rita Wilson. "Life after 50 can hold some of life's greatest challenges and adventures and we can't wait to read entries!" Finalists will be judged by a panel of editors from each publication, including The Huffington Post's Arianna Huffington and Rita Wilson, a top editor from Simon & Schuster and AARP's Myrna Blyth. Submission details and contest rules are available at www.huff.to/memoir and the winner will be announced in September 2014.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV