Alcoa (NYSE: AA) has entered into an agreement with Germany-based engineering and construction company, Bauer Resources GmbH, to commercialize Alcoa’s Natural Engineered Wastewater Treatment technology that mimics natural wetlands to sustainably treat wastewaters. Under the agreement, Bauer will use Alcoa’s engineered wetlands technology to deploy wastewater treatment systems globally.
The system, developed at the Alcoa Technology Center outside of Pittsburgh, imitates the natural process of wetlands to clean and disinfect process water. The system uses 40 percent less energy and has 60 percent lower operating costs than traditional systems, functions without the use of chemicals, and does not emit odors associated with conventional tank systems. Treated water is of high quality and can be reused in manufacturing processes or for irrigation.
“We are pleased to partner with the Bauer Group to bring our engineered wetlands technology to customers worldwide,” said Ray Kilmer, Alcoa’s Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer. ”Alcoa’s technology, combined with Bauer’s engineering, design and construction expertise, will enable the sustainable treatment of municipal and industrial wastewater, saving money and conserving water.”
Bauer Group brings significant wetlands technology expertise and engineering, design and construction experience to the Alcoa-Bauer team. In 2009, Bauer installed the largest wetlands treatment system in the world for Petroleum Development Oman (PDO) in Nimr, Oman. The plant has been successfully operating since January 2011.“This partnership brings together two experts in innovative technology,” adds Roman Breuer, Executive Board Member at Bauer Resources GmbH. “Our goal is to deploy this proven technology worldwide. Regardless of market – municipal waste water or even a wide range of industrial applications – this technology and partnership can offer a solution.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV