The housing starts data released by the Census Bureau this morning was the best result in roughly five years, a 23% gain. This news should be a great thing for homebuilders, Peltier said.
His first pick is Standard Pacific (SPF), which currently trades just above $8 per share.
The stock is only up 12% in 2013, which lags the S&P 500 by nearly 13% year-to-date. Peltier thinks the company's pricing power and exposure to California could boost the share price into the double digits in 2014.Another stock with solid potential is Builders FirstSource (BLDR), which currently trades at just under $7. Peltier said this company just reported a strong earnings quarter and expanded margins had expanded. He concluded that if the building supply company can continue to take market share, it should hit $9 sometime in 2014. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV