Delta Mechanic Gets a Passenger to the Hospital On Time
In September, Al Arendsee, a Minneapolis-based Delta (DAL) mechanic, was on an Airbus A319 headed from Buffalo to Minneapolis when the flight returned to the gate. The problem was an "engine start valve-not closed message." Arendsee worked with the flight crew and his colleagues in the operations center to clear the message so the flight could continue to its destination.
When Arendsee returned to his seat, a passenger with tear-filled eyes thanked him. She said she was headed to the hospital for a lung transplant and had to make a tight connection in Minneapolis. "No problem," Arendsee responded. "I was just doing my job and was glad I could help."
United Crew Spoils Little Girl Headed for New Home
In October, after her mom died, a six-year-old girl, a first grader, was flying from Chicago to the Washington area to live with her dad. By the time she boarded flight 1103 to Dulles, an O'Hare customer service representative had learned her story.
When a United first class customer overhead the crew discussing the situation, he gave the little girl his seat and went to sit in coach. Applegate publicly thanked him over the aircraft PA. The Dulles based cabin crew looked after the little girl, who spent most of the two-hour flight watching a Scooby Doo movie. At the end of the flight, several crew members, including the captain and the first officer, walked the girl off the airplane, all the way to her waiting father.
"She held on to our hands really tight walking down the jet bridge," Applegate said. "It was just one of those beautiful experiences." Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.
To contact this writer, click here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV