NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The S&P 500 closed slightly lower on Thursday, a day after its record close.
On CNBC's "Fast Money" TV show, the trading panel discussed their retailer stock selections.
Guy Adami, managing director of stockmonster.com, said high-end retail such as Tiffany & Company (TIF) and Michael Kors (KORS) are good picks. Payment processing giants Visa (V) and MasterCard (MA) should benefit from holiday shopping, too.
Karen Finerman, president of Metropolitan Capital Advisors, said KORS is a great company with solid growth but is unlikely to maintain its high valuation.Seymour added KORS has a lot of future growth in Asia. When choosing between Wal-Mart (WMT) and Macy's (M), Finerman chose Macy's. She said it has a solid mix of high-class and middle-class consumers as well as terrific management. Adami said M seems likely to trade up to $55 and Seymour called it the cheapest major retailer in the S&P 500 in terms of valuation. Finerman said Finish Line (FINL) could outperform Foot Locker (FL) due to its higher exposure to a strong U.S. shoe market. Nike (NKE) reported earnings and Adami said the inventory increase was concerning. At the current valuation, he would not chase the stock. Gerald Storch, CEO of Storch Advisors, was a guest on the show. He said the U.S. needs more secure credit cards following the hacking incident at Target (TGT). More broadly, he said foot traffic is lower this year in retail despite fewer days for the holiday season. He concluded that Internet sales have been absorbing a lot of the sales and that continues to increase. Seymour said Amazon (AMZN) will continue to benefit from online sales and suggested investors stick with the name.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV