Dec. 18, 2013
magazine kicks off the new year with its biennial list of
, as recommended by physicians themselves, featuring 495 standout doctors – 100 primary care doctors and 395 specialists – from throughout the Chicagoland area.
On newsstands Thursday, the January issue also uncovers the driving force behind
Whitney M. Young Magnet High School basketball phenom
and takes readers on a journey through his young life, revealing such life-shaping experiences as witnessing the devastating death of his mother.
In the story
Life Through A Leica
, renowned photojournalist
pays tribute to his late wife of 67 years,
– a well-known rare book dealer in
, showcasing nine wide-ranging photos of her from his personal collection. Throughout his 70-year career, Shay has shot movie stars and presidents, but Florence was always his favorite subject. The touching series portrays bittersweet loss and, in return, aims to enhance our own existence.
Other stories from the January issue of
- Best Spa Escapes – Once the exciting holiday months have passed, escape the cold this winter by visiting one of these 12 great warm-weather getaways. From destination spa retreats to local spas within driving distance, there's an escape for every budget.
- Real Estate: Want to Sleep with Mies? – With 33 Mies van der Rohe buildings in Chicago, eight of them residential, Chicago magazine's real estate expert Dennis Rodkin takes an inside look at the pros and cons of buying a Mies apartment.
- Music: On the Record – Vinyl is back with a vengeance and there's a store on this list for every kind of listener from the jazzhead to the rock enthusiast. Plus, six record store pros suggest 12 great albums to check out today.
- Climate: Going to Extremes - How much more freakish will Chicago's weather get? Weather experts reveal their predictions for what Chicago should expect over the next 30 years.
- Dining: 25 Best Restaurants highlights the hot dining establishments everyone is talking about and suggests eight cozy nooks with roaring fireplaces to curl up to this winter.
and other members of the magazine staff are available for on-air interviews about stories in the January issue. Contact
at 312-832-6763 to schedule an interview. For more information on
About Chicago magazine
magazine, the nation's largest city monthly, launched in 1970 and has been owned by Tribune Company since 2002. Together with its website, chicagomag.com,
spurs intelligent conversation about the city's influencers, zeitgeist-defining trends, and civic controversies through award-winning, in-depth journalism. Just as important, it helps readers live better by producing the area's most authoritative coverage of the best in food, art, and urban life. Always insightful, at times provocative,
magazine is as dynamic as the city that inspires it.
About Chicago Tribune Media Group
Chicago Tribune Media Group publishes the Pulitzer Prize-winning Chicago Tribune as well as related print and interactive media serving Chicagoland such as RedEye, Hoy, Triblocal, TheMash,
magazine, chicagotribune.com, triblocal.com and metromix.com.