Facebook (FB) shares are down $0.36 to $54.50 Wednesday morning after notching new record highs of $55.18 intraday Tuesday. The stock, which spent the first six months of 2013 drifting lower in a range, has now exploded 108.5% higher since late-July and is up 21.3% in less than a month. While the surge might seem a bit excessive, one big player in the options market made a decisive bet yesterday that this bull has more room to run.
A massive call spread traded on Facebook Tuesday morning. With the stock notching new record levels north of $55 per share, the investor sold 40,800 January 50 calls at $5.65 per contract and bought 51,600 February 55 calls for $4.60 apiece. The activity in Feb 55s was opening. In fact, open interest at that strike increased by 61,962 contracts and is now 73,327, now the eighth largest block of open interest in Facebook options today.
It doesn't end there because, when the January 50 calls were opened last week, the same player also closed a position in 26,500 FB January 45 calls at $5.60 per contract. Those calls, in turn, were apparently bought-to-open on November 26 for $3.15. The profit on the transaction: $6.5 million.
Facebook has been rallying and saw a boost last week on news the company will be added to the S&P 500. One big player in the options market seems to have enjoyed the ride and has monetized nearly $20 million in gains so far. Now, the savvy investor is opening in the Feb 55 calls with a hefty investment of $23.7 million. So while many wonder if Facebook share level is a bit extended after the recent surge, such a large investment in upside calls is hard to ignore. In this case it seems pretty clear that one trader made a nice gain on the move higher and is willing to 'let it ride' into 2014
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
Henry can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionAlert
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV