FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) today reported earnings of $1.57 per diluted share for the second quarter ended November 30, compared to $1.39 per share last year. Last year’s second quarter results were impacted by $0.11 per diluted share due to the effects of Superstorm Sandy.
“FedEx posted solid second-quarter earnings, reflecting improved performance at FedEx Express, as the profit improvement plan introduced more than a year ago continues to gain momentum,” said Frederick W. Smith, FedEx Corp. chairman, president and chief executive officer. “The power of our broad global portfolio continues to drive our growth and I am confident we are well on our way to achieving the ambitious goals we have set.”
Second Quarter Results
FedEx Corp. reported the following consolidated results for the second quarter:• Revenue of $11.4 billion, up 3% from $11.1 billion the previous year • Operating income of $827 million, up 15% from $718 million last year • Operating margin of 7.3%, up from 6.5% the previous year • Net income of $500 million, up 14% from last year’s $438 million Operating income and margin increased primarily due to yield and cost management at FedEx Express. Results also benefited from the favorable comparison to last year’s Sandy-impacted results, lower pension expense and a modest benefit from the voluntary employee severance program. In October, FedEx Corporation announced the authorization of a new share repurchase program of up to 32 million shares of common stock, which augmented the 7.4 million shares then remaining under the previously authorized repurchase program. During the second quarter, the company repurchased 7.2 million shares of FedEx common stock, increasing the fiscal 2014 year-to-date purchase total to 10.0 million shares. The second quarter share repurchases had no effect on the quarter’s earnings per share, but are expected to improve full year earnings by $0.04 per share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV