Never Again Make A New Year's Resolution: Get Organized In 2014
BELLEVUE, Wash., Dec. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Most people's resolutions for 2014 will be to lose weight, save money, work less and have better relationships. The exact same as they were last year. The reason? No one follows through with their resolutions. In fact in 2012, only 8 percent of people were successful in keeping their resolutions. The solution? People need to stop choosing the wrong resolutions. It has nothing to do with commitment and everything to do with organization. If you're more organized in your life, even the most challenging resolutions will fall in place.
The top three categories for resolutions are health, wealth and work-related goals. According to Stacey Anderson, publisher of Getting Organized magazine, those categories could each use a bit of organization to help make resolutions stick in 2014:
1. Health: A recent study divided people into a cluttered room or an organized room and asked them to choose between a candy bar or fruit snack. Those in the organized room overwhelmingly chose the fruit, but the people surrounded by clutter reached for the candy bar.
"If your kitchen is a mess, or your dining room table is covered up with an avalanche of paperwork, you're less likely to make a healthy meal for you and your family," said Anderson. "Organization and time management will also open up time you previously didn't have to go to the gym or take a walk."2. Wealth: Receiving a late fee after forgetting to pay a bill on time, or losing the bill completely, happens to many people. The same is true for misplacing, or losing, a receipt when an item needs to be returned. People spend one full hour a day looking for things they know they have but can't find. "People are more likely to spend money on something they already have because of disorganization so investing time in getting organized literally pays off," said Anderson. 3. Work: If employees were more organized, productive and had better time management skills at work they would be able to work less. They might even receive that promotion they have been hoping for, as 83 percent of human resource managers say the appearance of an employee's desk directly affects their perception of the person's skill level and professionalism. For 2014 make just one resolution: to get and stay organized. You'll be very happy you did.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV