NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- U.S. stock futures were gaining in pre-market trading Wednesday ahead of an announcement from Federal Reserve about its historic economic stimulus program. Fed commissioners began meeting yesterday to determine whether the economic recovery is robust enough to handle a rollback the central bank's $85-billion-a-month bond-buying program. The stimulus program has been a key component to equity gains in 2013 propelling the Standard & Poor's 500 Index
- S&P 500 futures were advancing 0.38% to 1,779, Dow Jones Industrial Average futures added 0.3% to 15,857 and Nasdaq futures rose 0.33% to 3,472.
- Stock markets fell on Tuesday as Wall Street continued to worry over a Fed decision.
- Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, due to end his second four-year term in January, will give his final quarterly news conference on Wednesday. A rates decision out of the Federal Open Market Committee is expected at 12:30 p.m. EST.
- On the economic calendar, housing starts and building permits for November are due for release at 8:30 a.m.
- European stocks were moving higher, buoyed by better-than-expected data from a German business sentiment survey. Germany's DAX added 0.95%, while France's CAC 40 and the U.K.'s FTSE 100 climbed 0.62% and 0.32%, respectively.
- FedEx (FDX) is slated to report second-quarter earnings before the bell. The postage and shipping giant is expected to post net income of $1.64 a share on $11.43 billion in revenue, according to analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters.
- Lennar (LEN) gained 3.4% before market open after announcing fourth-quarter revenue that beat expectations by $40 million.
- Movie theater chain AMC Entertainment Holdings (AMC) will begin trading on the New York Stock Exchange, with shares priced at $18 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV