NEW YORK (TheStreet) --
Granted, given the weak slate of Windows devices on the market, they don't have much to work with. How do you create a strong, singular message when you're marketing a repetitive and unclear mess of traditional laptops, hybrids, two-in-ones and all-in-ones? It certainly cannot be easy.But to try to pass off the notion that you can take that pathetic Dell tablet, watch a movie on half of it and work up a spreadsheet on the other while flying on an airplane just insults the consumers' intelligence. Even with BBY living through the longest dead cat bounce in the history of the stock market, I'm not sure how any investor could confidently purchase shares of a company associated, in any way, with the dying Windows brand.
As Apple's (AAPL) Tim Cook indicated on the company's last conference call, the competition really is confused. Windows' mobile strategy amounts to spreading itself across a whole slew of devices. And not one makes a coherent enough presentation to gain any type of meaningful traction in a marketplace dominated by Apple and the fragmentation of Google's (GOOG) Android. #sigh But, speaking of advertising, contrast the guy on the plane multitasking with a Windows-powered Dell tablet (because, of course, you see that everyday on the streets, in the air, in coffee shops, at the office) with this beauty Apple has been running like mad during the holiday season: Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV