CARTHAGE, Mo., Dec. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- 4Q non-cash impairment charge of $60 - 75 million (pre-tax)
- EPS impact expected to be $.28 - .35 per share
- Excluding this charge, underlying guidance for 2013 is unchanged
Leggett & Platt expects to record a $60 - 75 million (pre-tax) non-cash impairment charge during the fourth quarter related to its Commercial Vehicle Products group, which is part of the Specialized Products segment. The EPS impact of the non-cash charge should be between 28 and 35 cents per share. Apart from this impairment charge, the company has made no change to the underlying full year EPS guidance issued in October.
As previously disclosed, the company had been considering strategic alternatives for its CVP unit, including possible divestiture of the business. As part of that process, it has become apparent that current market values for certain CVP assets, primarily goodwill, have fallen below recorded book values. This stems from lower expectations of future revenue and profitability, reflecting reduced market demand for the racks, shelving, and cabinets used in telecom, cable, and delivery vans. The company now intends to focus on improving the operating performance and cost structure of the CVP business.
At the end of the third quarter, the goodwill and other intangible assets associated with the CVP group were $76 million and $20 million, respectively.FOR MORE INFORMATION: Visit Leggett's website at www.leggett.com. COMPANY DESCRIPTION: Leggett & Platt (NYSE: LEG) is a diversified manufacturer (and member of the S&P 500) that conceives, designs and produces a variety of engineered components and products that can be found in most homes, offices, and automobiles. The 130-year-old firm is comprised of 20 business units, 18,000 employee-partners, and 130 manufacturing facilities located in 18 countries.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV