No terms of the deal were announced, and the only confirmation of the sale comes from Italian newspapers that talked to the startup's co-founders. According to TechCrunch, it's not clear if any of the team behind Gopago will make the transition to Amazon. The acquisition is seemingly more about the technology behind Gopago instead of the people who created it.
Amazon reportedly will use the start-up's technology as part of an "ambitious new project." It's possible that Amazon could use the technology for a mobile payment system that will rival Square. Such a service would also compete with eBay's
(EBAY) PayPal, which recently launched its own Bluetooth-based mobile payments system.
Amazon shares were down 0.3% on Tuesday to $387.83.
TheStreet Ratings team rates AMAZON.COM INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about its recommendation:"We rate AMAZON.COM INC (AMZN) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed ? some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's profit margins have been poor overall." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 7.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 23.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $1,389.00 million or 47.29% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 36.23%.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 85.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 51.43% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Setting our sights on the months ahead, however, we feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The implication is that its reduced upside potential is not good enough to warrant further investment at this time.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Internet & Catalog Retail industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 85.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$274.00 million to -$41.00 million.
- The gross profit margin for AMAZON.COM INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 32.53%. Regardless of AMZN's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -0.23% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AMZN Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.