I'll be the first to acknowledge that this is a mileage-may-vary tale and that my wife's Delta flight was a bit more full than mine. That said, the lack of pressure on both of us at each terminal and the ease with which we were able to complete our trips makes me a firm believer in this off-peak strategy.
This doesn't make a trip at this time of year any more ideal for folks who have to travel on Thanksgiving or Christmas and just want some time in between to gird themselves for the next holiday, but if you're a business traveler looking for a window for that promised trip back to HQ, a boss trying to plan a company holiday party for far-flung employees or a leisure traveler who'd sooner jam holly sprigs into his or her retinas than travel during the holidays, there's a nice, soft portion of the calendar from about the Tuesday after Thanksgiving through the Thursday before Christmas that's just waiting for you.
If you miss it, don't worry. Just about any week after New Year's through February that doesn't include Martin Luther King Day will give you the same room to roam. While it's just a reminder of how unnecessarily unpleasant airline travel has become just about any other day of the year, it's worth enjoying while you can.
-- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore.>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV