NEW YORK, Dec. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- When the glittering Times Square New Year's Eve Ball descends to mark the beginning of 2014, the "1" and "4" will be illuminated for the first time in ever-changing colors using 207 of the revolutionary and programmable hue bulbs from Philips, the global leader in lighting. A global TV audience of over one billion viewers will see the LED bulbs, with more than 16 million color options each, colorfully ring in the new year as people tune in for the iconic celebration. The "2" and "0" will maintain Philips' outdoor rated BR30 LED bulbs.
New Year's 2014 marks the 14 th consecutive year that Philips Lighting has served as the official lighting partner to the world-famous Times Square New Year's Eve – produced by the Times Square Alliance and Countdown Entertainment. The bulbs being used in the "1" and "4" come from the innovative Philips hue line, which is the first personalized LED lighting system that allows users to control their home lighting directly from an iOS or Android device.
"We have been partnering with Philips since 1999 to light the Times Square Ball, which is now the largest crystal ball in the world illuminated by Philips LED technology and a universal symbol of celebration," said Jeffrey Straus, president of Countdown Entertainment. "We look forward ringing in the new year again with Philips bringing that same innovation to 2014!"The new Philips hue BR30 downlight bulbs, were released last month and share the same Philips LUXEON LEDs as the Times Square Ball, which itself has 32,256 LEDs and uses less energy than two standard wall ovens.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV