Toward that end, I have bought a package of closed-end municipal bond funds (I have no favorite), including: VPV, Invesco Trust for Investment Grade Municipals (VGM), Invesco California Value Municipal Income Trust (VCV), Nuveen Quality Income Municipal Fund (NQU), Nuveen Select Quality Municipal Fund (NQS), Nuveen Premium Income Municipal Fund II (NPM), Nuveen Premium Income Municipal Fund (NPI), Nuveen Municipal Market Opportunity Fund (NMO), Nuveen Municipal Advantage Fund (NMA), Nuveen Dividend Advantage Municipal Fund (NAD), Eaton Vance Municipal Income Term Trust (ETX), BlackRock Municipal Target Term Trust (BTT) and BlackRock Investment Quality Municipal Trust (BKN).
My current intention is to treat this package of bonds as an investment, though a short-term trade (January to February) to the upside is quite likely.
I plan to keep my package of closed-end municipal bond funds for the next two to three years. I remain confident that the bonds will likely outperform (on an absolute and risk-adjusted basis) the S&P 500 over that time frame.
This column originally appeared on Real Money Pro at 8:46 a.m. EST on Dec. 17.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV