[video] Mega Millions Jackpot Could Top $1 Billion by Christmas Eve
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The Mega Millions jackpot has soared to $586 million, near a U.S. lottery record. If Tuesday's drawing doesn't produce a winner, the jackpot could top the $1 billion mark by Christmas Eve.
It could be a very Merry Christmas for the next Mega Millions jackpot winner -- as the top prize nears a U.S. lottery record.
After twenty-one straight drawings without a winner, the initial October 4th jackpot of $12 million has grown to a whopping $586 million. With the frenzy of ticket buyers growing as the jackpot increases, there's still the possibility that Tuesday's drawing could beat the current record of $656 million that was set in March 2012.
The jackpot could actually pass the $1 billion mark by Christmas Eve if the next drawing does not produce a winner... And it might not, as the Mega Millions rules have recently been changed -- making the odds of winning the jackpot lower than before.
However, those buying tickets for this drawing still have reason to be hopeful. The new rules actually increase the odds of winning a smaller prize to 1 in 15 chances. In New York, I'm Brittany Umar for TheStreet.
Written by Brittany Umar in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV