While much of the focus this week is on the Federal Reserve as it kicks off a two-day meeting today, a number of important companies are due to report earnings this week as well. Results from FedEx (FDX), Nike (NKE), and Accenture (ACN) could provide an important preview of what's to come when the floodgates open on fourth quarter earnings a month from now. In addition, several software names which are also due to release results this week, saw an uptick in options activity Monday.
Tech bellwether Oracle (ORCL) reports tomorrow afternoon. The stock was off $0.76 to $33.54 yesterday ahead of the results and options volume on the software giant was 3X the daily average. 68,000 puts and 20,000 calls traded on the ticker. The top trades were part of a spread, in which the investor was selling 17,650 Dec 34 puts on the stock at $0.96 and buying 17,650 Dec 33 puts at $0.54. The Dec 33 34 put spread, at $0.43, rolls down an existing positions in the Dec 34 puts bought for $0.45 on Dec 2. By monetizing the gain in that contract, while opening a new position in Dec 33 puts, the investor appears to be positioning for further downside in Oracle through earnings. The stock was down last week on negative analyst commentary and the mean move after earnings is nearly 4%, a bit below the Dec 21 ATM straddle price.
Henry can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionAlert
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV