RBC continues to have "outperform" ratings on 23 large cap and mid-cap bank stocks, which the analyst team categorized by "theme."
Among the firm's picks for "credit recovery/turnaround," are Bank of America, Citigroup and Regions Financial RF of Birmingham, Ala.
For "return of capital" through increased dividends and share buybacks following the Fed's annual stress tests in March, RBC has "outperform" ratings on Citigroup, Fifth Third Bancorp (FITB) of Cincinnati, JPMorgan, KeyCorp (KEY) of Cleveland, State Street (STT) of Boston and Wells Fargo (WFC).
RBC's list of banks in the "revenue generators" category rated "outperform" include the firm's "top pick" among bank stocks, which is PNC Financial Services Group (PNC) of Pittsburgh.
PNC's shares closed at $75.48, returning 33% year-to-date. The shares trade for 1.5 times tangible book value and for 10.1 times the 2015 EPS estimate of $7.45. Cassidy's price target for the shares is $85, implying 13% upside over the next 12 months.
The following chart shows PNC's performance against the KBW Bank Index and the S&P 500:
PNC data by YCharts
>Contact by Email.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV