SAN DIEGO, Dec. 17, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Zogenix, Inc. (Nasdaq:ZGNX), a pharmaceutical company developing and commercializing products for the treatment of central nervous system disorders and pain, announced today the expansion of its senior leadership team in support of the planned launch of Zohydro™ ER (hydrocodone bitartrate) extended-release capsules in March 2014. This includes the appointment of a Chief Medical Officer, Vice President of Medical and Scientific Affairs, and Executive Director of Medical Affairs, effective immediately.
The new senior appointments are all distinguished leaders in the fields of pain management and analgesic drug development and will play key roles in the launch and post marketing support of Zohydro ER, as well as building the company's product pipeline targeting CNS disorders and pain management. The new hires include the following:
- Bradley S. Galer, M.D., Executive Vice President and Chief Medical Officer – Prior to joining Zogenix, Dr. Galer served as President of the Pain Group at Nuvo Research, a specialty pharmaceutical company with three commercialized topically delivered pain products. In this position, he oversaw the strategy and operations of the Pain Group, including its commercialization, drug development activities, business development and licensing opportunities and liaising with partners. Prior to joining Nuvo, Dr. Galer was employed at Endo Pharmaceuticals as Senior Medical Officer and Group Vice President, Scientific Affairs, where he was responsible for the departments of Clinical and Biostatistics, Medical Affairs, Pharmacovigilance, Medical Liaison and Medical Information. He and his team provided clinical and scientific leadership for the development and marketing of analgesic and migraine products, including Lidoderm, Percocet, Opana, Opana ER and Frova. Dr. Galer has also held numerous other industry positions, along with academic and clinical appointments. He has published over 200 articles on pain management in peer review journals and textbooks. Dr. Galer received his medical doctorate and a neurology residency from Albert Einstein in New York and two Pain Fellowships, at Memorial Sloane-Kettering in New York and University of California San Francisco, as well as headache training at Montefiore Headache Clinic in New York and University of California San Francisco.
- Arnold R. Gammaitoni, Pharm.D., Vice President, Medical and Scientific Affairs – Prior to joining Zogenix, Dr. Gammaitoni served as Vice President of Scientific Affairs of the Pain Group at Nuvo Research. Prior to joining Nuvo, Dr. Gammaitoni was Global Director of Scientific Affairs for Analgesia, Immunology, and Anesthesia at Merck & Co. Previous to Merck, he served as Senior Director of Medical Affairs at Endo Pharmaceuticals. Dr Gammaitoni has also been a clinical practitioner with a focus on pain management and has authored or co-authored over 50 articles. He received his doctoral degree in pharmacy from the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy.
- Marsha R. Stanton, Ph.D., RN, Executive Director, Medical Affairs – Dr. Stanton is nationally known for her work in pain management including clinical practice, public policy and patient education. Prior to joining Zogenix, Dr. Stanton served as Executive Director of Program Development, External Affairs, Medical Affairs at Horizon Pharma, a specialty pharmaceutical company with three commercialized products focused on arthritis, pain and inflammatory diseases. She held similar positions representing pain products and organizations at Pfizer, King Pharmaceuticals, Alpharma Pharmaceuticals and Purdue. Prior to joining the pharmaceutical industry, Dr. Stanton practiced as a nurse responsible for the provision of acute and chronic pain services in a variety of hospital and outpatient settings. In addition to being a registered nurse, she holds a Ph.D. in health education from Glendale University, NM.
"We are very pleased to welcome Drs. Galer, Gammaitoni and Stanton to the Zogenix team," said Stephen Farr, Ph.D., President of Zogenix. "They all have a proven track record of successful accomplishments in the development and commercialization of opioid analgesics and other drug products. Under Brad's leadership we are building a strong clinical and medical affairs organization that will be immediately focused on our programs to assure the appropriate use of Zohydro ER, be active participants in the design and execution of the class-wide post marketing requirements for ER opioid analgesics, and advance our development pipeline that includes an abuse deterrent formulation of Zohydro ER."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV