With many schools and businesses preparing to break for the winter holidays this week, Starbucks (NASDAQ:SBUX) anticipates record purchases and activations of Starbucks Cards on Thursday, December 19. Last year, more than 2 million Starbucks Cards were purchased in the U.S. and Canada on the Thursday before Christmas – representing nearly 1,500 cards purchased per minute in the U.S. and Canada.
“One in every 10 American adults received a Starbucks Card last holiday season, and we’re on track for another record performance in Starbucks Card sales, as we celebrate our 13 th year of offering Starbucks Cards. We are predicting that this Thursday and next Monday, Dec. 23, will be our busiest days for Cards sales,” said Adam Brotman, chief digital officer for Starbucks.
According to the National Retail Federation, eight in ten shoppers will purchase a gift card this holiday season. Since the Starbucks Card launched 12 years ago, $16 billion has been loaded on 450 million cards in 27 countries worldwide. Of that $16 billion, $4 billion was loaded onto Starbucks Cards worldwide in the past year.
“Available to purchase at more than 80,000 places in North America alone, a Starbucks® Card is a convenient, thoughtful and simple way to finish your shopping for everyone on your holiday list – from teachers to neighbors to the closest of friends and family,” said Cliff Burrows, group president Americas, EMEA & Teavana. “Customers can find Starbucks Cards in our retail stores, in their local grocery store, drugstore and even online. Our store partners, e-commerce teams and social gifting channels are ready for strong activity in these final days before Christmas.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV