AVX ended last quarter with $1 billion in cash and short-term investments, which represents 43% of its current market cap. AVX also has a dividend yield of 2.6% and has no debt. Although the company has already bought some stock back over the years, it still has the wherewithal to have a more substantial buyback and further increase its dividend.
One of the more interesting companies to make the cut was Rosetta Stone (RST), which has become a household name in the language-learning business. The company is not profitable on a trailing 12-month basis, but is expected to generate a modest profit in 2014. It ended last quarter with $113 million in cash, which represents 43% of its current market cap.
Rosetta Stone may also be a year-end tax loss selling candidate, given its 33% drop since last May, which may provide some opportunity to scoop up some shares on the cheap. Much of that damage to the stock price occurred following a worse-than-expected earnings release early last month.
Just last week, the company announced that it will acquire Tell Me More, a European-based language learning software company, for $28 million. We'll see how that move pans out, as the company attempts to broaden its international presence.
Companies at the higher end of the market-cap spectrum for this search include Teradyne (TER), Convergys (CVG), Polycom (PCOM), Vishay Intertechnology (VSH), Magellan Health Services (MGLN), and MKS Instruments (MKSI). Happy hunting!
At the time of publication, the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV