More Spending, But Not on Gifts, This Holiday Season
NEW YORK (BankingMyWay) -- In the hoopla over holiday spending, there seems to be a gap developing between holiday shopping versus holiday spending, and it may be redefining the American holiday experience.
Here's the deal: While adults may be spending more for the holidays, they're "spreading the wealth" to parties, food, decorations and charity, giving less to actual holiday gifts.
Data culled from the most recent American Express Spending & Savings Tracker, released Friday, shows Americans are more interested in "dining out and looking great" for the holidays than in spending hefty sums of cash on gifts for family and friends. (One exception: Americans are spending more on workplace gifts this year.)
"Economic concerns coupled with an aggressive push by retailers earlier in the season created a unique push and pull between shopper and retailers," says David Rabkin, a senior vice president with American Express. "Americans aren't sacrificing on holiday fun; they're still giving and spending to look great at their holiday get-togethers, but they are relying more and more on deals and discounts to help them stay within their budgets."One area where Americans are digging deeper into those bank accounts this holiday season is for social events. Amex says revelers are increasing spending on going out to dinner, lunch or brunch, going to a concert or show, and going to a holiday party this year compared with last year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV