Updated from 5:41 p.m. ET to include comments from Leon Cooperman of Omega Advisors.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Private equity giant KKR & Co. (KKR) is buying its publicly traded specialty finance arm KKR Financial (KFN) in a $2.6 billion all-stock transaction that the Henry Kravis and George Roberts-run company says will boost its earnings per share.
Shareholders of KKR Financial will receive 0.51 common units of KKR for each common share they own, valuing the company at $12.79 a share based on Monday closing prices. The deal implies a 35% premium to the Monday closing price of KKR Financial, KKR said in a statement.
KKR Financial shares were rising over 30% to $12.43 in after-hours trading. KKR shares were trading lower by just over 1% to $24.80.
"The deal makes sense. The price is fair. We own KKR and KFN and look forward to owning more KKR," Leon Cooperman, head of hedge fund Omega Advisors, said in an e-mail to TheStreet.
Omega Advisors is the second largest shareholder of KKR Financial, with an over 7% stake in the company's shares according to quarterly Securities and Exchange Commission filings as of Sept. 30. Omega also is an investor in KKR shares with an over 1% stake, the filings show.
KKR and KFN's boards of directors have both approved the transaction, which is expected to close in the first half of 2014, according to a statement. Goldman Sachs and Simpson Thacher & Bartlett are representing KKR, and Lazard and Cravath Swaine & Moore are serving as independent financial and legal advisors to the independent directors of KKR. Sandler O'Neill & Partners and Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz are serving as independent financial and legal advisors to the independent committee of the KKR Financial's board of directors. Follow @antoinegara -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV