Box office gross: $153.1 million
If that Furby you bought a few years back was alive and spawned evil, killer versions of itself that destroyed your hometown, this is what your Christmas might look like.
This film about an inventor who buys a furry little pet in Chinatown despite the shopkeeper's misgivings, gives it to his son and takes off while his kid ignores every instruction he provided about that creature's care is going on 30 years old and is holding up pretty well for its age. While it was a Steven Spielberg-tinged merchandising machine when it was released, the passing years have kindly stripped away the toy-store schmaltz and left bits of director Joe Dante's original vision exposed for all to see.Forget all of the glowing Christmas decor and Snow White sing-alongs. Mean old lady Mrs. Deagle is dispatched in unflinching fashion, a science teacher's hand is eaten clean off his arm and co-star Phoebe Cates relates a story about her father snapping his neck while trying to climb down the chimney dressed as Santa Claus that is the Gremlins equivalent of the USS Indianapolis speech from Jaws. Oh, and a gremlin is microwaved until it explodes. How that was all cereal-box and fast-food promotional fodder in the '80s is still a mystery, but Gremlins lives on today as one of Christmas' few midnight movies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV