NORTHBROOK, Ill., Dec. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The home with the most holiday lights is not always the brightest decoration when it comes to home safety. Allstate's Holiday Home Decorator displays how your home could overload with too much holiday cheer.(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20131216/CG34242)
On average, 67,500 homeowners suffer a loss during the holiday season each year with fire, theft and weather-related conditions as some of the top contributors.
Allstate's Holiday Home Decorator is an online game that helps homeowners identify risks during the holidays and provides tips to avoid potential hazards. Visitors use real images of their homes with satellite mapping technology. Virtually decorate the home by adding holiday lights, decorations and snow. As the user decorates, Mayhem appears if festivities get out of hand and a preventative tip is provided. The Decorator is one component of Allstate's Holiday Home Hazards campaign, which revealed that some threats to home security and safety rise significantly during the holiday season.Holiday Home Hazards revealed that fires, theft and winter weather conditions are contributors to potential home damages. Combat Mayhem and holiday home hazards with these tips:
- Decorate with style and safety. Keep fresh trees watered, ensure artificial trees are fire resistant and keep trees away from heat sources. Never leave burning candles unattended and keep them away from children. Routinely extinguish candles before bedtime.
- Be "heat-smart." Use space heaters approved by independent testing labs. Place them three feet from anything that ignites, and turn them off when unattended or sleeping. Use kerosene heaters only where permitted by law, using the recommended grade kerosene. For fireplaces and wood stoves, burn only seasoned hardwood. Keep persons, pets and flammable objects at least three feet away, open flues before using, and use screens to control embers.
- Cook cautiously, and be prepared. Don't leave cooking food unattended. If an oven fire starts, turn the oven off and keep the door shut. Smother grease fires with a lid. Install new batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Ensure family members can locate and operate fire extinguishers. Test all fire prevention devices annually.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts