The company has never been shy about acquisitions since it was spun off from Tyco International (TYC) six years ago. But management has always found ways to not only make these deals work but, in most cases, to exceed Street expectations in both revenue and profits. I don't believe this deal, as questionable as the timing might be, will be any different.
While this deal won't add any immediate oomph to Covidien's consolidated results, it does, however, extend Covidien's market share in addressable colonoscopy. Not to mention, it presents an immediate area of collaboration since Covidien already has an endomechanical business. With Given's PillCam, which is seen as an improvement to conventional minimally invasive surgery (MIS), and its other devices, Covidien stands to gain share from market leaders Johnson & Johnson and Intuitive Surgical (ISRG).
So despite its high price tag, the acquisition might yield an immediate payoff. There is longer-term potential, too: the MIS market may still grow by at least 60% in the next several years.
All of that said, there are some risks here that management must address, not the least of which is the ongoing weakness in both the contrast products business and radiopharmaceuticals.Management has done a great job offsetting these deficits with strong performance in areas including active pharmaceutical ingredients. But expectations have now been raised even higher. With the stock having posted such strong year-to-date gains, this new acquisition is certain to put a spotlight on the company's organic growth performance. Until there is a meaningful sign of a slowdown, Covidien will remain a top favorite for medtech performers in 2014. At the time of publication, the author held no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @saintssense This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV