"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -- George SantayanaIn January 2004, Boca Biff made his debut in my diary. Boca Biff is a real person. He is not a composite of individuals I have met over the years. Boca Biff's investments (described in today's and previous columns), both in name and in dollar size, were all actually made by him. It is fair to write that Boca Biff lives by the investment credo that man's greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall, because fall is Boca Biff's middle name. No character (and there have been many characters!) I have written about has elicited such a response from so many subscribers and contributors. Over the past 15 years, Boca Biff has embodied the mentality of the daytrading and speculative community who worships at the altar of price momentum in the church of what is happening now. As such, Boca Biff has become a better market/sector/asset class barometer than the put/call ratio, Investors Intelligence, mutual fund/hedge fund exposures or any other sentiment indicator. The Boca Biff indicator has become a wonderful measure of the very embodiment of speculation during Mr. Market's frequent speculative bouts. I suppose we can say is that what Boca Biff has learned from history is that he hasn't learned from history. But let's begin by framing Boca Biff's speculative diary of trading over the past 15 years.
Kass: More Remarkable Tales of Boca Biff
Dec 17, 2013 | 06:00 AM EST
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV