Driven by the growth in e-commerce, UPS (NYSE: UPS) expects to pick up more than 34 million packages today, Monday, Dec. 16, and expects to deliver 29 million packages globally on Tuesday, Dec. 17, a record for a single day at the world’s largest package delivery company. During UPS’s 107
holiday season, Dec. 16 – 20 is known as “Peak Week” due to the surge in volume.
“The entire team at UPS has planned all year to handle the annual increased shipping volume during the holidays,” said Alan Gershenhorn, chief sales, marketing and strategy officer. “As consumers change the way they shop for holiday gifts and shipping needs shift, customers rely even more on UPS for trusted and convenient solutions around the globe.”
Peak Week Preparations
UPS prepares for its Peak Week with a large-scale, precise operation involving its worldwide global fleet of vehicles and cargo planes.
To help put Peak Week into perspective:
Last Day to Ship
- Nearly 100,000 package cars, vans, tractors, motorcycles and alternative fuel vehicles will be deployed to meet customer needs.
- Meanwhile, more than 2,388 UPS cargo flights will take off daily around the world during UPS’s seasonal peak week, 465 more flights than a typical day in November.
- UPS will need 55,000 seasonal employees for the holidays, more than would fit into Yankee Stadium.
- On Dec. 17, UPS anticipates delivering 300 packages per second; a hummingbird’s wings flap an average 50 times a second.
UPS’s extensive network is designed to provide for timely and safe delivery of customers’ holiday gifts. Customers can ship as late as Monday, Dec. 23, using UPS air services. For timely packages, options include:
- UPS 3 Day Select ® – ship by Thursday, Dec. 19 for delivery on Tuesday, Dec. 24
- UPS 2nd Day Air ® – ship by Friday, Dec. 20 for delivery on Tuesday, Dec. 24 (or you can ship on Saturday at a retail location such as the UPS Store)
- UPS Next Day Air ® – ship by Monday, Dec. 23 for delivery on Tuesday, Dec. 24
With over 4,300 locally owned and operated locations, The UPS Store® can help shoppers across the country pack and ship of holiday gifts. Please visit
for your nearest location. Consumers also have the added convenience of tracking and managing packages through UPS My Choice
. To help make deliveries hassle-free, customers can receive alerts to their mobile device or through the UPS My Choice
Facebook app or other UPS mobile apps to track packages online and re-route deliveries. With increased online shopping, UPS also expects more than 78 million tracking requests on Dec. 17 – its busiest tracking day of the season. To register, please visit
For holiday shipping information, tips and solutions visit the UPS holiday season media resource site -
B-roll video footage specific to Peak Season is available for
UPS (NYSE: UPS) is a global leader in logistics, offering a broad range of solutions including the transportation of packages and freight; the facilitation of international trade, and the deployment of advanced technology to more efficiently manage the world of business. Headquartered in Atlanta, UPS serves more than 220 countries and territories worldwide. The company can be found on the Web at
and its corporate blog can be found at
. To get UPS news direct, visit