- International-equity funds had the most inflows by category group, collecting $15.6 billion in November to reach $132.2 billion for the year to date. Foreign large blend led all international-equity categories in year-to-date flows, followed by diversified emerging markets.
- Overall, equity funds took in $198.0 billion through November and are on track for their strongest year since 2000. U.S.-equity funds, which attracted new assets of $42.4 billion so far in 2013, are poised for their first year of inflows since 2006. While passive funds accounted for most of these U.S.-equity-fund inflows, outflows from active U.S.-equity funds have moderated.
- Alternative mutual funds saw record inflows of $37.1 billion for the year to date, a 41 percent organic growth rate. The category group had inflows virtually every month over the past five years, but assets in the group make up just 1.2 percent of long-term mutual fund assets. Eight funds in the alternative category group had year-to-date inflows of more than $1.0 billion.
- Bank loan led all taxable-bond categories in year-to-date inflows, followed by nontraditional bond; intermediate-term bond and government bond experienced the largest outflows.
- With inflows of $65.3 billion through November and 25 percent of industry inflows, Vanguard is set to top all mutual fund providers for the third year in a row. Vanguard has been first or second in terms of annual inflows by provider since 1994. DFA, behind strong inflows for its international-equity and taxable-bond offerings, is second in year-to-date inflows with $21.0 billion, its strongest year on record.
Morningstar Reports U.S. Mutual Fund Asset Flows For November 2013
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts