MALVERN, Pa., Dec. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Accretive transaction furthers Endo's transformation into leading specialty healthcare company
- Builds on Endo's leadership in pain management through addition of ZECUITY ® (sumatriptan iontophoretic transdermal system), the first and only FDA approved patch to treat migraine
- Proven Endo branded pharmaceuticals commercial team to execute ZECUITY launch, expected in first half 2014
Endo Health Solutions (Nasdaq: ENDP) today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement under which Endo will acquire NuPathe Inc. (Nasdaq: PATH) for $2.85 per share in cash, or approximately $105 million. In addition to the upfront cash payment, NuPathe shareholders will receive rights to receive additional cash payments of up to $3.15 per share if specified net sales of NuPathe's migraine treatment ZECUITY are achieved over time. Endo expects meaningful cost synergies from the transaction, which is expected to be accretive to Endo's adjusted diluted earnings per share within the first 12 months of closing.
ZECUITY, which was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in January 2013 for the acute treatment of migraine with or without aura in adults, is the first and only FDA-approved prescription migraine patch. ZECUITY is a disposable, single-use, battery-powered transdermal patch that actively delivers sumatriptan, the most widely prescribed migraine medication, through the skin. ZECUITY provides relief of both migraine headache pain and migraine-related nausea (MRN). ZECUITY was approved based upon an extensive development program with phase 3 trials that included 793 patients using nearly 10,000 ZECUITY patches. In these trials, ZECUITY demonstrated a favorable safety profile and was effective at relieving migraine headache pain and migraine-related nausea two hours after patch activation.
"The acquisition of NuPathe enhances our branded pharmaceutical portfolio and is well aligned with our strategy of acquiring late-stage products for commercialization," said Rajiv De Silva, president and CEO of Endo. "We're excited about the opportunity to launch ZECUITY, a treatment that could be an option for millions of migraine patients, including those with migraine-related nausea. Following the close of the deal, we plan to launch ZECUITY in the first half of 2014 by leveraging our existing commercial expertise in pain and migraine management and the current infrastructure of our branded pharmaceuticals business overall."Armando Anido, chief executive officer of NuPathe, stated, "Our team has worked very hard to develop products that we believe will provide significant clinical advantages over current treatments for patient populations facing diseases of the central nervous system. We believe this acquisition by Endo will increase the potential for ZECUITY to make a meaningful difference for patients we have worked so hard to serve." Under the terms of the merger agreement, an affiliate of Endo will promptly commence a tender offer to acquire all of the outstanding shares of NuPathe's common stock for $2.85 per share in cash and the right to receive contingent cash consideration payments of up to $3.15 per share if specified net sales milestones for NuPathe's migraine treatment ZECUITY are achieved. The contingent cash consideration payments will not be publicly traded. The contingent cash consideration payments can be summarized as follows:
- $2.15 per share if net sales of ZECUITY exceed $100 million during any four-quarter period prior to the ninth anniversary of the first commercial sale of ZECUITY; and
- An additional $1.00 per share if net sales of ZECUITY exceed $300 million during any four-quarter period prior to the ninth anniversary of the first commercial sale of ZECUITY.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts