Covidien plc (NYSE:COV) today provided further details regarding its previously disclosed realignment of reportable segments and announced additional changes in its revenue reporting format. These changes are designed to further align with the company’s recent reorganization and provide additional transparency of financial performance.
The new format provides a worldwide view of sales across three major product categories while enhancing geographic reporting by breaking out non-U.S. sales into new categories for emerging and non-U.S. developed markets. The company will begin using this format when it releases its fiscal first quarter 2014 results in January.
“Our new revenue reporting format more closely reflects the way we operate our business, providing our stakeholders with enhanced transparency,” said Charles J. Dockendorff, Executive Vice President & Chief Financial Officer, Covidien. “This approach underscores our continuing commitment to communicating our business results clearly and consistently.”
Highlights of new reporting structure:
- Reportable Segments – Effective October 1, 2013, results of the Medical Supplies business in Western Europe are reflected in the Medical Devices segment, consistent with the way that business is managed.
Product Sales Categories – Product line sales now will be
reported in the following categories:
- Surgical Solutions – Advanced Surgical 1 and General Surgical 2
- Vascular Therapies – Peripheral Vascular and Neurovascular
- Respiratory & Patient Care – Patient Monitoring, Airway & Ventilation, Nursing Care and Patient Care
Geographic Sales Methodology – Geographic sales for the company
now will be reported in the following categories, reflecting sales
primarily based on customer location rather than location of the
- United States
- Non-U.S. Developed Markets3
- Emerging Markets
- Historical Corporate Expense Allocation – Certain costs that previously were included in corporate expense, including information technology and certain shared service costs, are now reflected in the company’s reportable segments.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV