But autonomous vehicles, like drones, aren't investible right now. They're too pie-in-the-sky to be on your radar as an Amazon investor. In the meantime, it makes sense for Amazon to continue to build on its Amazon Fresh service in additional markets, human drivers and all.
There's no question that Amazon is a "castle in the sky" stock. It hasn't had a P/E ratio under 100 since 2011, and less than 2% of the firm's market cap is covered by cash on its balance sheet. Translation: AMZN isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination. But momentum is still very much intact, and that means that the time is right for Amazon to make meaningful investments while costs of capital are low and its valuation is rich.
Don't expect to see drones making dropoffs at your house by 2015 -- but same-day delivery still looks like a promising enhancement for AMZN.
-- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV