POINT RICHMOND, Calif., Dec. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Transcept Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq: TSPT) today announced that Glass Lewis & Co. ("Glass Lewis"), an independent proxy voting and corporate governance advisory firm, has recommended that stockholders vote "AGAINST" all proposals introduced by a group of stockholders consisting of Roumell Asset Management, Retrophin, Inc. and SC Fundamental (the "stockholder group"). This recommendation follows the Transcept announcement on December 11, 2013 that ISS Proxy Advisory Services also recommended that stockholders vote "AGAINST" all proposals introduced by the stockholder group, and a unanimous recommendation by the Transcept Board of Directors to vote "AGAINST" all proposals.
As previously announced, Transcept intends to hold a special meeting of stockholders (the "special meeting") on December 19, 2013, at 8:00 a.m., local time, at the offices of Latham & Watkins LLP located at 140 Scott Drive, Menlo Park, California 94025, to vote on two proposals from the stockholder group.
- To request that the Board of Directors (the "Board") take all actions necessary to eliminate the Tax Benefit Preservation Plan (the "Plan"), dated as of September 13, 2013, by and between Transcept and American Stock Transfer & Trust Company, LLC. In its recommendation to vote "AGAINST" this proposal, Glass Lewis noted that the features of the Plan are reasonable and that the stockholder group has not provided a compelling argument against the Plan.
- To remove, without cause, as directors of Transcept each of Christopher B. Ehrlich, Glenn A. Oclassen, Jake R. Nunn, G. Kirk Raab and each person, if any, nominated, appointed or elected by the Board after October 2, 2013 and prior to the special meeting to become a member of the Board at any future time or upon any event. In its recommendation to vote "AGAINST" this proposal, Glass Lewis further noted that the Transcept Board has taken reasonable and credible steps to evaluate strategic alternatives with the assistance of a financial advisor, and has announced a firm and reasonable deadline to arrange a transaction or commence liquidation by the end of the first quarter of 2014.
The only purpose of the special meeting is to consider the proposals that are described above and that are more fully addressed in the Transcept definitive proxy statement filed with the SEC on December 9, 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV