Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: ALXN) today is providing further information regarding a previously communicated voluntary recall of two lots of Soliris® (eculizumab) Concentrated Solution for Intravenous Infusion. As stated on Nov. 12, 2013, the two lots were found to contain visible particles. At that time, Alexion provided instructions to return any unused vials of Soliris from these two lots at the distributor level. Alexion is now providing the same instructions at the hospital/user level.
The administration of particulate, if present in a parenteral drug, poses a potential safety risk to patients in two general areas: immunogenicity and thromboembolic events. Particulates could cause blockage of flow of blood in vessels, which could be life-threatening. To date, there have been no product complaints of particulates, or identifiable safety concerns attributed to the product consumed from the affected lots. As previously stated, Alexion does not anticipate any interruption to patient supply of Soliris.
The product is approved as a treatment for patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria and atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome, two ultra-rare disorders. Alexion and its distributors typically ship Soliris to healthcare providers in small quantities, which are timed to individual patient infusions, with the product being consumed before more is shipped. As product was last shipped on Nov. 1, 2013, Alexion believes there is little, if any, inventory currently being held at the hospital or user level.
The following table lists the two affected lots, which were distributed nationwide.
|Product||Lot||Expiration Date||First Ship Date||Last Ship Date|
|Soliris® (eculizumab) 300 mg/30 mL Concentrated solution for intravenous infusion only NDC 25682-001-01||10010A||Oct. 31, 2015||Oct. 11, 2013||Nov. 1, 2013|
|10001-1||July 31, 2014||June 4, 2012||May 8, 2013|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV