BBVA Compass Bowl
Sponsor: BBVA Compass
Location: Birmingham, Ala.
Matchup: Vanderbilt vs. Houston
Payout: $1.9 million
The former Birmingham Bowl and PapaJohns.com bowl -- that's right, it was an ad for Papa John's pizza delivery site at one point -- is just a bit of a mess.
Its current sponsor is a Birmingham-based holding company owned by Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria of Spain. It's decided that this is going to be the last year of slapping its name on this event, which may be to the benefit of everyone involved but still leaves this bowl adrift.Its newest sponsor will be the fourth since the bowl debuted in 2006. That isn't a tremendous vote of confidence, but ESPN (DIS) needs to fill hours and promoted this bowl from ESPN2 to original-recipe ESPN way back in 2007. It'll survive, but it could use a name that doesn't involve a URL or an acronym.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV