Location: Jacksonville, Fla.
Matchup: Nebraska vs. Georgia
Payout: $3.5 million
Wow, a dot-com sponsor. Will the halftime bands enter the field in giant SUVs and play Nelly songs, too?
We understand that "Taxslayer" and its nu-metal neck-tattoo name have to do something to differentiate themselves from the rest of the market, but this is the bowl-game equivalent of the Ask Jeeves balloon in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. Has this sponsorship done anything to make folks stop thinking of Intuit's (INTU) TurboTax when they consider filing online? Do NASCAR sponsorships and Dale Earnhardt Jr. driving his sticker-laden car out to the 50-yard-line for the coin toss reassure taxpayers that they can trust you with their finances?There are two dot-com sponsors among the bowls this year, and GoDaddy has done just about everything it can to tie its domain service to football and fleshy ads in game broadcasts. Taxslayer still isn't a household name years into this sponsorship and may have succeeded only in keeping a bowl game alive.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV