NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The recent consumer shift towards organic and natural foods has certainly improved the profile and popularity of Whole Foods Market (WFM), whose name within the retail sector has always been associated with health and wellness.
While that reputation hasn't exactly changed -- and there is ample evidence that this new healthy-eating lifestyle among Americans is here to stay -- Whole Foods no longer corners the "health market." I fear this fact is not yet reflected in today's share price.
I'm not discounting the fact that Whole Foods is a well-run company, one that operates at a high rate of efficiency. But at the same time I'm not willing to ignore that chains such as The Fresh Market (TFM) and Natural Grocers (NGVC) have done quite well for themselves in a relatively short period of time. Not to mention Sprout's Farmers Market (SFM), which sprouted out of nowhere to post 24% revenue growth and strong margins.
If that was not enough, when you couple these new arrivals with the fact that "regular" retailers including Wal-Mart (WMT) and Target (TGT) have targeted this market by now offering organic and healthy options at discounted rates, I envision that somewhere down the road Whole Foods will be relegated to being "just another organic retailer."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV