NEW YORK (TheStreet) - This year's broader market gains also brought jolly returns to many stocks in the retail sector, despite consumers' wariness on spending on things other than for the home and electronics.
So which retail stocks really had home runs this year? More than half the retailers that made our list definitely benefited from the housing reboot, as consumers moved to shopping for goods to fill up their houses such as electronics, furniture and home decor.
"The pattern of buying continues to reflect fallout from home buying earlier in the year," said Steve Blitz, chief economist for ITG Investment Research, following the Commerce Department's Dec. 12 release of better-than-expected November retail sales numbers. "During the summer months, home purchases boosted spending at building materials stores which has since slowed. ... With flagstones now in place and rose trellises raised, attention moved indoors."
TheStreet analyzed total return data from Bloomberg. The data, as of end of day Dec. 12, was limited to specialty retailers in the U.S. whose stocks are in the Russell 3000.Here are the six best performing retail stocks this year, in ascending total return.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV