NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Coronado Biosciences Inc (CNDO) exploded on news its pilot study of an oral drug to treat autism was successful. The micro-cap had added 27.5% to $2.27 by early afternoon of Friday's session.
The clinical trial studied the effect of CNDO-201 over a placebo in autistic patients and found a statistically-significant difference in favor of the Coronado-developed treatment.
"There is increasing evidence that immune dysregulation plays an important role in this developmental disorder and we are encouraged by the interim data from this pilot study," said CEO Dr. Harlan F. Weisman in a statement.
The study, still ongoing, is expected to yield final results by mid-2014.Another biopharmaceutical market-mover on Friday, Insys Therapeutics (INSY) tanked 15.9% to $37.95 by early afternoon. A day earlier the Phoenix-based drugmaker said it had received a subpoena from the Office of Inspector General of the Department of Health and Human Services relating to an investigation of potential health violations. The court document requests information pertaining to Insys' sublingual spray Subsys, including the company's sales and marketing practices of the product.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV