Chicago Region of NLRB Finds Merit in Teamsters' Unfair Labor Practice Charges
CHICAGO, Dec. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Funeral industry giant Service Corporation International (NYSE: SCI) has acknowledged its violation of several federal labor laws in its treatment of 59 locked out Chicago-area funeral employees.
SCI, which operates under the Dignity Memorial brand name, is mailing a National Labor Relations Board notice to each employee in which it promises not to violate those laws in the future. It is the NLRB Chicago Region's resolution of unfair labor practice charges filed by Teamsters Local 727, which represents the locked out SCI funeral directors and drivers."Finally this corporate bully must own up to its numerous and egregious unlawful practices," said John T. Coli, Secretary-Treasurer of Teamsters Local 727. "While we are thankful the labor board ruled in the union's favor, we do not think the punishment fits the crime. SCI's actions have grossly and negatively impacted these 59 members at every turn, and we believe the company deserves a harsher penalty." SCI's numerous unfair labor practices forced the union-represented funeral workers to strike on July 2. Despite an unconditional offer by the Teamsters to return to work, the company locked out workers at 16 Chicago-area Dignity Memorial funeral homes on Aug. 19. Region 13 of the NLRB found merit in several of the charges filed by Local 727 and summarily dismissed the frivolous charges filed against the Teamsters by the company. According to the labor board, SCI engaged in direct dealing with union members during ongoing contract negotiations with the Teamsters; threatened members with loss of vacation; engaged in unlawful surveillance of union activity; and unlawfully solicited withdrawals from the union.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV