Affordable Care Act Kills Obama's Credibility as America's CEO
Sadly, some Americans face death when old policies lapse and can no longer pay for the care they need.
Overall, premium costs are rocketing, not because old coverage was inadequate or new coverage is better, but because the ACA created markets that are less competitive than before.
The ACA sought to create new, more effective markets in more than 3,000 cities and counties across America. This is proving an unworkable promise in a health care sector as large as the entire economy of France.
In many locales, owing to uncertainty about size and age characteristics of the new pools of customers to be served, the number of insurance companies participating has declined. Competitive pressures on insurers to negotiate favorable rates with hospitals and other facilities are greatly diminished.These insurers are often quoting much higher rates, wholly frustrating the purpose of "bending the curve" as the president euphemistically refers to the ACA's efforts to halt the upward trajectory of health care costs. The ACA is a bureaucratic nightmare and a bad trick played on most Americans. Now the president lacks the trust and credibility to pursue important second-term initiatives like immigration reform, in my opinion. The president has only his hubris to blame. At the time of publication, the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @pmorici1 This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV