Exelis (XLS) Highlighted As Today's Perilous Reversal Stock
- XLS has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $24.8 million.
- XLS has traded 3.4 million shares today.
- XLS is down 3.6% today.
- XLS was up 8.4% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in XLS with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for XLS NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on XLS: Exelis Inc. provides command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, and surveillance and reconnaissance (C4ISR) related products and systems in the United States and internationally. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.4%. XLS has a PE ratio of 11.6. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate Exelis a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold. The average volume for Exelis has been 1.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Exelis has a market cap of $3.3 billion and is part of the industrial goods sector and aerospace/defense industry. The stock has a beta of 1.31 and a short float of 0.8% with 0.80 days to cover. Shares are up 54.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Exelis as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, weak operating cash flow, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins and feeble growth in its earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed against the S&P 500 and did not exceed that of the Aerospace & Defense industry. The net income has decreased by 9.1% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $88.00 million to $80.00 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $74.00 million or 64.25% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Aerospace & Defense industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, EXELIS INC has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for EXELIS INC is rather low; currently it is at 24.45%. Regardless of XLS's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 7.01% trails the industry average.
- EXELIS INC's earnings per share declined by 12.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, EXELIS INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.75 versus $0.89 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 14.3% in earnings ($1.50 versus $1.75).
- You can view the full Exelis Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.