NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- For October, the Department of Commerce reported that American exports reached the highest level ever recorded.
The world can be expected to buy even more goods and services from U.S. companies in the years ahead because of projected growth of the global economy, especially in emerging-market nations. That should boost Exxon Mobil (XOM) , Deere & Co. (DE) and Union Pacific Corp. (UNP) .
Exxon Mobil is pushing to allow the export of oil from the U.S. to other countries that are waiting to import the excess crude that Exxon Mobil wants to peddle around the globe. The U.S. has restricted oil exports since the 1970s.
As detailed in a previous article in TheStreet, the International Energy Agency has predicted that increasing demand for energy will come from the two most populous nations in the world: China and India. Much of that will have to be met by oil.Alternative energy doesn't have the capabilities. Coal is too dirty. Part of China's economic reforms is to reduce its dependence on coal for power to protect its environment. And natural gas lacks the extensive pipeline network needed to deliver the fuel to end users. In addition to using more oil, the populace of the world will be eating more.
Companies that haul the oil and farm products to ports to be exported to Asia will also do well, especially railroads because of their cost advantage. Union Pacific is the largest railroad in the U.S., operating in 23 states in the west. Oil shipments by rail are increasing in America. That is a result of the greater production from Exxon Mobil and others, and the lack of pipelines to transport it.
The market share of shipping agricultural products by rail is expected to increase from 30% to 35%. The bulk of the exports to Asia will be going through West Coast ports, the strength of the network of Union Pacific.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV