James Dennin, Kapitall: Facebook is joining the S&P 500. Twitter's going through the roof. All eyes are on social media stocks this week.
It was just announced that Facebook (FB) is joining the S&P 500 index, as well as the S&P 100 index of large American companies. Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF), JDS Uniphase Corp (JDSU), and Teradyne Inc. (TER) have all been removed from the index, and the change will go into effect after markets close at the end of next week.
Read more from Kapitall: 5 Profitable Apparel Stocks Compared to Peers as Holiday Shopping Continues
The move reflects Facebook's ascendence as an immense and profitable American company, as well as the market's acceptance of social media stocks – whose profitability and monetization schemes once drew skepticism.But Facebook isn't the only social media company in this sector that is making moves. In response to the rapidly growing value of the start-up sensation Snapchat – which recently brought in more than $50 million in additional funding – both Twitter (TWTR) and Instagram have added direct picture messaging. Tech and media stocks outside of social media have been having a much less exciting week. Just look at the revelations about Yahoo's (YHOO) finances, and the fact that it had under reported how much of its revenue comes directly from a single contract with Microsoft (MSFT). The company's new mail system has had a difficult role-out as well, and skepticism is starting to mount about a tech company whose valuable assets are all located overseas. So are social media tech stocks showing the new way forward? We gathered a list of some of our favorite publicly traded social media companies to add to your news feed.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV