NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- CytRx Corp. (CYTR) extended its gains, parlaying an announcement Wednesday into a two-day rally. Shares closed 52.2% higher to $6.12 during Thursday's trading session, adding to an overall 152.1% gain since Wednesday's open.
CYTR data by YCharts
A rally was sparked after the oncological specialist announced the success of a mid-stage clinical trial of its cancer treatment before the bell Wednesday. The aldoxorubicin study, an experimental treatment targeting soft-tissue sarcomas, was found to have an 80% to 100% success rate in progression-free survival over using chemotherapeutic agent doxorubicin in isolation.
The success of CytRx is in stark contrast to ImmunoCellular Therapeutics (IMUC) which more than halved its value on Thursday. The cancer immunotherapy researcher closed 59.9% lower to $1.09, after a phase II study of its cell-based vaccine treating aggressive brain tumors failed to reap statistical significance in overall survival among patients.
--Written by Keris Alison Lahiff
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV