SHANGHAI and PARIS, Dec. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) today announced that China Mobile, China's largest mobile service provider, is deploying Alcatel-Lucent's small cells solution in the world's largest TD-LTE network. The deployment follows the award of China's 4G license and the successful small cell trials in several high populated cities of China.
Co-created by Alcatel-Lucent and China Mobile, the Metro Cell solution will enable China Mobile to meet the surging capacity demands for ultra-broadband access in urban areas across China in the most effective and economical way.
Small cells are a critical component of LTE ultra-broadband deployments as they enable operators to boost coverage and capacity in busy areas such as shopping malls, sports stadiums and high-traffic roads. By bringing the base station closer to the end user small cells assure exceptional mobile broadband including enriched multimedia services wherever consumers are located.
- China Mobile and Alcatel-Lucent co-created the lightRadio™ 9768 Metro Radio Outdoor (MRO), which was launched in February 2013 at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona
- As part of the trial, Alcatel-Lucent completed small cell tests on high-traffic roads in the Zhejiang, Fujian, Liaoning and Shandong provinces and Downtown shopping Mall in Jiangsu
- China Mobile selected Alcatel-Lucent's lightRadio Radio Access Network (RAN) as part of the world's largest deployment of a high-speed TD-LTE mobile broadband network
- Alcatel-Lucent also is providing 24 percent of the Evolved Packet Core for China Mobile's TD-LTE network
- Working with China Mobile to develop and deploy small cells as part of their TD-LTE network provides strong validation for The Shift Plan, Alcatel-Lucent's industrial strategy to become a specialist vendor of IP Networking and Ultra-Broadband Access.