Dec. 12, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- Synaptics Inc. (NASDAQ: SYNA), a leading developer of human interface solutions, today announced a major notebook PC OEM has selected its ForcePad™ technology to power its latest premium notebook, marking the first global OEM to bring Synaptics' ForcePad technology to market. As part of Synaptics' next generation of TouchPad™ touch solutions, ForcePad is the PC industry's first TouchPad that incorporates pressure recognition and delivers a new dimension of control for consumers.
Synaptics' ForcePad is an enhancement beyond ClickPad, replacing the mechanical click mechanisms with more accurate and reliable solid state force sensors. This gives users more intuitive and precise interactions in both operating system controls and applications including multi-touch gestures. Additionally, by incorporating variable pressure detection across the entire touch area, ForcePad enables leading OEMs to utilize 100 percent of the touch area for pointing, gestures and button activation, ultimately allowing for increasingly thin notebook designs when compared to previous ClickPads.
Synaptics' ForcePad also incorporates TypeGuard™ software technology. Many notebook users become frustrated when they falsely move the cursor or accidentally activate a tap by touching or brushing the touchpad with their palm. TypeGuard virtually eliminates all false cursor movements, accidental taps and false edge scrolls, giving users a more accurate response during everyday use.
ForcePad Key Features
- Capacitive Pressure Detection: ForcePad solutions detect the amount of pressure that the user's finger(s) exert on the touch surface, which can be used to control user interfaces or other PC features.
- ClickEQ™ Click Anywhere Technology: Enables the accuracy and functionality of today's TouchPad technologies, meeting Windows 8.1 Modern TouchPad guidelines with image-sensing, fulltime finger tracking, and supports new Windows 7 and 8.1 gestures.
- Force-Enhanced Gesture Continuation: By varying the amount of pressure applied, users can now control the speed of a gesture operation and continue the motion after the gesture stops.
- Streamlined Design: With no hinges or button switches, ForcePad offers OEMs the opportunity to develop thinner and lighter devices, while allowing more space for multi-touch gestures.
- TypeGuard™: Differentiates between a finger and a palm, helping users minimize unintended inputs.
"At Synaptics, we strive to deliver the most innovative touch solutions to our OEM partners, which is why we're extremely pleased to support the first global device manufacturer to ship our next-generation ForcePad technology to power its latest amazing Ultrabook," said
, vice president, Human Interface Systems Division for Synaptics. "As the first OEM to market with our ForcePad solution, our partner will be able to offer customers a truly unique and innovative touchpad experience that is better and unlike anything on the market today."
Synaptics will showcase ForcePad, along with its entire portfolio of human interface solutions at the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show in
. Customers and suppliers are encouraged to contact their Synaptics partner to arrange a meeting, and media are encouraged to contact
to arrange a meeting.
For up-to-the-minute Synaptics news, follow
on Twitter. For more information on Synaptics' products and solutions please visit
As a leading developer of human interface solutions which enhance the user experience, Synaptics provides the broadest solutions portfolio in the industry. The ClearPad® family supports touchscreen solutions for devices ranging from entry-level mobile phones to flagship premium smartphones, tablets and notebook PCs. The TouchPad™ family, including ClickPad™ and ForcePad®, is integrated into the majority of today's notebook PCs. LiveFlex® fingerprint sensor technology enables authentication, mobile payments, and touch-based navigation for smartphones, tablets, and notebook computers. Synaptics' wide portfolio also includes ThinTouch® supporting thin and light keyboard solutions, as well as key technologies for next generation touch-enabled video and display applications. (NASDAQ: SYNA)
Synaptics, TouchPad, ClearPad, ClickPad, ForcePad, ThinTouch, LiveFlex and the Synaptics logo are trademarks of Synaptics in
the United States
and/or other countries. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.
For further information, please contact:
Nick Rottler Synaptics 408-904-1820
Starlayne MezaText 100 Global Communications 415-593-8431
SOURCE Synaptics Inc.